BMW Today -
BMW is the famous German motorcycle, engine, and automobile manufacturing company and it is the parent company of Rolls - Royce Motor cars. In the sales of Premium car segment, this company is the global leader. Headquarters of BMW are located in Munich, Germany. Bavarian Auto Group is the sole importer of BMW and this well known multinational group of companies was founded in March 2003. It has rights for assembly, sales, distribution, import, and support for after sales of BMW lineup in Egypt.
It is providing the whole lineup of locally built models such as BMW 3 Series, 5 Series, 7 Series and X3 along with some imported models like X5, X6, BMW 1 Series, 6 Series and some other mini ranges. In 2010, company declared that BMW would invest approximately $750 million to boost the speed of operations at its Spartanburg plant. Due to this investment, the production rate will increase up to 240,000 cars in a year. This plant will be the largest production plant in the United States.
The left hand drive BMW vehicles are produced by the company mainly for Taiwan, Iran and the United States. The right hand drive BMW vehicles are made for Japan, New Zealand, Australia, the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, and Sub - Saharan Africa. In the year 2010, the revenue of BMW was about € 60.48 billion and the profit was around € 3.218 billion. By the end of 2010, the company had 95,450 employees.
In the year 2010, BMW designed and produced approximately 1,481,253 cars and around 112,271 motorcycles. In the year 2010, BMW sold about 1,224,280 units. Around 44 percent BMW automotives are powered by diesel engine and the remaining 56 percent vehicles are powered by petrol engine.
For 2010, production plant of BMW, which is located at South Africa, manufactured around 47,980 units as compared to other BMW factories. The other BMW production plants are situated at USA, Austria, Germany, Russia, Mexico, and United Kingdom. During 2010, BMW sold more than 1,224,280 units of vehicles and 234,175 units of Mini in the global automotive market. The range of 1 Series which was unveiled in the year 2004 is still considered as the smallest car of BMW.
BMW History -
In the year 1916, BMW was founded by Franz Josef Popp. The blue and white BMW roundel is the logo of BMW which portrays the movement of an aircraft propeller. BMW Motorcycles have won the famous Dakar Rally Championship six times.
Ranges like M1, z3 m Coupe, Z24 M6, E30 M3, 2002 Tii, E39 M5, E36 M3, Alpina B7, 135i, and Z4 M roadster are the top ten BMW cars of the millennium. List of best BMW motorcycles include F 650 GS, K 1200LT, and K1200R. In the history of Formula One, BMW won 20 races. BMW has also created successful history in Touring car racing.
In the year 1917, this company was restructured the Rapp Motorenwerke aircraft engine and from 1928, BMW changed its focus from aircraft engine production to automobiles.
BMW IIIa liquid - cooled 6 - cylinder engine which is the first range of BMW'S aircraft engine which was produced in the year 1918.
In1922, BMW had huge stake in DesignworksUSA which is the California based industrial design studio.
BMW is the first auto maker to win the Isle of Man TT in 1939.
During the year 1959, company experienced some financial crisis but still management decided to carry on. BMW Motorrad is the first successful BMW motorcycle. BMW is the major sponsorof Formula BMW and Kumho BMW Championship.
From 1968, BMW started operating from South Africa. The range of 3 – unique motorsport was exclusively designed and manufactured for the South African automotive market. BMW successfully retained its operation’s ownership in the vehicle market of South Africa.
From 1975, company started manufacturing the range of compact executive vehicle, 3 Series.
From 1994, this leading auto manufacturer established the British Rover Group and owned it for next six years.
In 2003, company signed the contract for manufacturing sedans in China and in 2004; production plant was started in the Shenyang in association with German company.
In 2006, BMW India was founded and during 2007, company started assembly plant for 3 and 5 BMW Series.
BMW Group Canada was awarded as one of the top employers of Greater Toronto by Mediacorp Canada and it was declared by the leading newspaper, Toronto Star in October 2008.